Reduce Food Waste
In Your Own Home (click to expand)
General (click to expand)
- DEQ – Strategy for Preventing the Wasting of Food
- Refed – FOOD WASTE SOLUTIONS
- Further with Food – Center for Food Loss and Waste Solutions
- Save the Food – Help others less fortunate to keep food safely
- Creating a sustainable food future – A Menu of Solutions to Feed Nearly 10 Billion People by 2050
Feeding People Locally (click to expand)
- Access – 3630 Aviation Way Medford, OR (map) 541-779-6691. Provides emergency food boxes to hungry families and individuals in Jackson county through a network of over 24 food pantries
- Ashland Emergency Food Bank – (541) 488-9544, 560 Clover Lane, Ashland (map). Receives non-perishable food and garden surplus
- LOCAL FOOD PROJECTS – Food donations are picked up at your home every two months and donated to the food bank
- Ashland Food Angels collect usable food daily from markets, bakers, etc., donating over 250,000 pounds of food annually, primarily to the Food Bank and community free meal programs. To donate food, help financially, or become a volunteer, contact Pamala Joy at 541-482-5330 or email ashlandf*********@**ail.com
- Uncle Food’s Diner Since its beginning in 1993, Uncle Food’s Diner has become the major feeding program for Ashland’s very poor and homeless residents. Each Tuesday, 4pm at the Ashland First Methodist Church (map), it provides a hot, nutritious meal to an average of 120 guests. Contact the Peace House office at 541 482-9625 or email in**@**acehouse.net
- Neighborhood Harvest is a grassroots organization based in Ashland Oregon, dedicated to harvesting fruit, nuts, and produce that would otherwise go to waste from yards, gardens and farms in the Rogue Valley
For Composting, see the Compost section on What Can I Do?
Local Energy Generation and Landfill (click to expand)
- Rogue Disposal & Recycling and Dry Creek Landfill Information (541) 779-4161, Medford.
Transfer Station – Dry Creek 8001 Table Rock Road White City, OR 97503. (map)
- If you are served by Southern Oregon Sanitation, type the name of a waste item and they’ll tell you how to recycle or dispose of it
- Plastics: What’s Recyclable, What Becomes Trash — And Why – excellent information on recycling responsibly
...and More! (click to expand)
- Your Questions About Food and Climate Change, Answered
- YouTube video on High price of food waste
- Administration’s proposal would increase hunger across the land
- See this YouTube video on food waste that is both very funny, and very pointed
- How we solve the planet’s food waste problem
- Key facts on food loss and waste you should know!
Food Professional? There are ways to both be more green AND improve profits.
- New report serves up savings for restaurants in reducing food waste
- Consider offering vegetarian dishes as your default, with meat options
Here is cool news from elsewhere:
- ReFED is a national nonprofit working to end food loss and waste across the U.S.
- Cindi Thompson’s excellent blog about Food Waste.
- How one nonprofit is fighting hunger, food waste, and poverty with kitchen apprenticeships.
- Prevent a million servings of food from being wasted. – Try CropMobster yourself! – Also, consider joining the Gleaning Network. (Or Eugene Area Gleaners for folks there.)
- Many articles, more added often